In the remote Bazaruto Archipelago off the coast of Mozambique, the Indian Ocean teems with marine life and inspiring jewel-like waters that surround a cluster of six paradise islands. On the largest of these, Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort offers a luxury beach lodge in indigenous exclusivity. Inspiring travellers with a sense of adventure, the island hideaway showcases its extraordinary destination with Mozambican inspired lavish accommodation options, rich dining journeys, nurturing spa treatments and authentic local discoveries. Revel in one of Bazaruto’s collections of 44 villas that offer breath-taking ocean views. Choose your villa to suit families, friends or a romantic getaway for two. Relish your secluded African oasis from your private plunge pool.
Experience the island as it is meant to be, always at its very best. Azura Benguerra Island, Mozambique, has been included in the Travel + Leisure magazine’s World’s Best Awards Survey. We are really pleased with the recognition. We’re also incredibly excited to be participating in the World Luxury Hotel Awards! Thank you to our loyal guests for the nomination.
Azura Benguerra Island’s public areas are right on the beach and open to the sea. We have created several different zones for your enjoyment and relaxation, from the comfortable lounge area to the vibey Star Bar, and our fabulous wine cellar offering a selection of the owner’s wines, specially flown in from their Chateau in France. The Jellyfish Restaurant offers breakfast and more formal dining. There is a media room for those needing TV and internet access, a boutique at reception, and our Padi 5 Star dive centre with top of the range Scubapro equipment.
Azura on Benguerra Island is blessed with hot and sunny weather year-round. Temperatures are generally in the upper 20′s to low 30′s celsius and rarely fall below 20 degrees even at night. The water temperature is gloriously warm and ranges from 24-30 degrees plus. Benguerra Island tends to receive on average a quarter of the rainfall that the mainland does, and there can be several months of the year when there is no rain at all. This makes our landscape very arid and challenges our indigenous gardens and water supply, but usually makes our guests very happy!
Our hand-built villas blend modern chic with all that is traditional in Mozambique. Each of our 20 villas is just footsteps from the beach yet designed with seclusion in mind. Nestled amidst indigenous gardens, we have created your own sanctuary, with a personal infinity swimming pool and spectacular beach-side view. A haven of rest and relaxation, where you can feel at one with the environment.
INFINITY BEACH VILLAS – Best Beachfront Locations
Azura has 10 Infinity Beach Villas. They are furnished in Afro-contemporary style and look out over a stunning infinity pool towards the beach and sea beyond. They have the best of our beachfront locations.
BEACH VILLAS – Wonderfully Private
Azura has 3 Beach Villas, set in a fantastic location at the end of the property close to the Spa, it is wonderfully private and perfect for honeymooners. The Beach Villas are the smallest of our villas, but still offer all of the creature comforts.
LUXURY BEACH VILLAS – Just Steps from the Beach
Azura has 3 Luxury Beach Villas, furnished in contemporary style and just steps from the beach. They are slightly larger than the Beach Villas with a larger private undercover deck.
ROYAL BEACH VILLAS – Utmost Privacy and Uninterrupted Views
Azura has 2 Royal Beach Villas, they feature infinity edge pools and magnificent sea views. They are 172 square metres, making them the largest and most lavish of all the villas, with 30 metres of picturesque beach frontage on a large beautifully landscaped plot. They are located at the northern end of the property, ensuring the utmost privacy and uninterrupted views. They offer the next level of comfort for the discerning Azura guest to enjoy. The main bedroom and bathroom area is similar to the existing Infinity Beach Villas and guests can now delight in the luxury of their own lounge area connected together via a walkway with glass sliding doors. The lounge comprises off comfortable sofas around a flat-screen television and has its own bathroom, as well as a tea/coffee area with a minibar and Nespresso. The sofas can be converted into two beds for any children that may want to share. Outdoor areas are astounding, offering a 10m rim-flow pool with a smaller sitting pool on the one end, and a poolside sitting pavilion on the other, from which guests have access straight into the pool. The villa also has a double daybed under a latte roof, as well as a single daybed on the deck, a dining area, and a beachside sala, all of which are perfect for relaxing and enjoying your own private space.
VILLA AMIZADE – Perfect for Families
Villa Amizade means friendship villa in our native Portuguese. This 2 bedroom en-suite villa is located at the western end of the property, with fantastic views out to sea and towards the setting sun. It is perfect for families or couples requiring more space and facilities. It offers a sitting area with flat-screen TV, DVD, Sound Dock and selection of games, opening onto extensive decking, dining and relaxation areas, including a ‘wine bar’. You can opt for a private chef service, available as a supplement. All the normal Azura design touches and finishes. Maximum occupancy 5 people including children.
PRESIDENTIAL VILLA – The epitome of Style and Luxury
The Presidential Villa at Azura has been described as one of the best villas anywhere in the Indian Ocean. It has a very secluded private location, some 150m down the beach from main Azura, and comes with its own butler-host and private chef. It is the beach house of your dreams. The epitome of style and luxury, with its own unique décor, there are 3 en-suite bedrooms, indoor and outdoor bathrooms, a media room, a sitting/dining area with a ‘wine bar’, and a huge infinity pool spanning the front of the villa. It is located just footsteps from the beach at the end of our property to ensure maximum privacy, with a fantastic treehouse to catch the afternoon breezes and panoramic views of Bazaruto Island and the Indian Ocean beyond.
Children and teens will be spoilt for choice when it comes to spending time here with us. Whilst we don’t have the traditional kids and activity clubs you find in larger hotels, we offer a host of activities for children and families to participate in. There is so much to experience and learn about. Children can enjoy seeing interesting marine life above and below the water, search for pansy shells on an island that appears at low tide, experience cultural encounters, climb dunes, look for crocodiles, taste the island’s fruits or play soccer with the local team.
- The Most Romantic Destinations – Azura is one of the most romantic destinations in the world. A deserted remote island paradise, reached by a spectacular helicopter flight over the pristine turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean, a uniquely special place and a haven of privacy to spend the most important vacation of your life. This is the kind of place you dream of for your honeymoon, lazy days spent swimming and relaxing, long lunches with fresh food and free-flowing wine, and romantic nights spent dining on a candlelit beach beneath the stars.
- Exclusive Honeymoon Luxuries – Honeymooners at Azura receive a range of special amenities, including a bottle of sparkling wine on arrival, an upgrade if available, a romantic turndown, a dhow cruise at sunset, and an excellent discount on the normal rate for the bride on stays of 5 nights or more.
Activities & Excursions
At Azura, it’s all about your experience. About doing things a little differently. About our experienced guides sharing their knowledge and passion for the pristine environments we are lucky enough to have around us. About our guests getting the most out of their stay, whether it be plunging into the ocean’s depths or just relaxing with a picnic on a private island.
On our islands, a kaleidoscope of colour greets you above and below the ocean. Magnificent reefs for diving and snorkelling, home to the turtles that nest on the island’s outer shores. Migrating humpback whales, dolphins, and the elusive and protected dugong ply our waters, along with marlin, sailfish and tuna to tempt the sports fishermen. We have a vast array of birdlife, our local people make for fascinating cultural encounters, and the starry night sky is quite magnificent to behold.
- A Safari of a Different KindAzura Retreats offers you the ocean safari, from excellent diving sites, fun water activities, and whale-watching, to fishing for local species, educational guided marine walks, where crowds of ghost crabs scuttle by, and incredible turtle sightings, our 5-star Mozambican destinations will help you create unforgettable memories. If you are interested in learning to dive, contact our dive instructors. We highly recommend that you complete the theory portion of your course at home, before your holiday. That way, you’re ready to start diving as soon as you arrive and will get to spend more time exploring the waters around the island.
- Family AdventureOn your ocean safari family adventure at Azura Benguerra Island, you will be given the rare opportunity to dive or snorkel in some of the most spectacular scuba diving spots in the world, allowing you to discover an underwater world that is visited by just a few lucky divers each year. Bleach-free coral reefs and the deep drop-off of the Mozambican shelf, mean that you and your family will be able to dive in some of the healthiest coral reef systems in the world.
- Whale WatchingFrom July to October each year, the oceans surrounding Benguerra Island come alive with Humpback Whales, as they make their way to warmer waters. Take to the ocean to capture this incredible work of nature, and watch as dolphins catapult themselves out of the water, mingling with their friends and providing wonderful entertainment for onlookers.
- Fantastic Game FishingFishing is a wonderful activity for beginner and experienced fishermen and women alike, which is a favourite pastime at Azura Benguerra Island. The location makes it a superb spot for year-round fishing. Azura Benguerra is very well known for its Sailfish and Marlin. We adhere to a strict catch and release policy, in the interest to preserve the marine life in Mozambique.
- Delight in Ocean Fresh FlavoursA day spent fishing for much sought after native fish such as Yellowfin Tuna and King and Queen Mackerel, may very well become a delightful feast for dinner. Share your favourite recipe with the chef, and delight in fresh flavours and local ingredients set against the beautiful backdrop of the African sky lit up. Most people seek the ocean knowing that it holds something special for them and with Azura Retreats Ocean Safari it does, there’s a no better option than to merge your safari on land with a safari of a different kind.
- Relax, Revive, Restore at our SpaAzura’s spa signature treatments are based on local ingredients and traditions, and offer a wonderfully relaxing and pampering experience. The treatments take their inspiration from the very heart of Africa. Try a body wrap using a unique blend of African body butters and oils, including the highly prized Mongongo Nut Oil. Or try something different with our Tribal Traditions massage, where olive and shea butter is poured all over the body, and massage strokes mimic the beating of African drums.
- Refresh Your SoulDetox your body and refresh your soul as you marvel at the beauty around you, enjoy the sea of green swaying palm trees that can be glimpsed from the tree-top spa at Azura Benguerra Island. Enjoy healthy eating with a focus on light meals, simple ingredients, and lots of fresh fish and seafood. It’s a simple understated affair as nothing is hurried at Azura.